Come and experience Tanzania with TEMBO as we celebrate our 20th anniversary. Our Traveling with TEMBO program offers a unique adventure with a week in the the village of Longido, a predominantly Maasai community in northern Tanzania, followed by a 5-day wildlife safari in Tanzania’s beautiful national parks.
Our Trip begins in Arusha
We will spend the first two days getting settled, while also visiting local activities in Arusha including:
- a half-day visit to the Cultural Heritage Centre where you will enjoy a stunning display of African art and artifacts
- a visit to a social enterprise that offers adult employment opportunities while creating art using recycled materials
- a beading workshop that offers a hands-on experience under an Acacia tree – along with a cup of local chai
We make sure to build in time at the end of each day for you to relax on your hotel balcony or enjoy a late afternoon swim.
Week One: Visiting TEMBO in Longido
On Monday, we will travel to Longido and stay at the TEMBO Inn. During the week, you will have the opportunity to learn about our projects supporting women and girls. Highlights of the week include:
- visiting schools and meeting with TEMBO-sponsored girls to hear about their studies and dreams for the future;
- learning how to sew on a treadle sewing machine while talking to the Maasai women in the tailoring program;
- walking through the village to meet the women in the micro-finance loans program, an opportunity to learn about the many different small businesses;
- and walking with the women to collect water in a remote village just outside of Longido.
During the week, you will have an opportunity to meet our staff and learn more about every day Maasai life, issues of gender equality and more.
Week Two: On Safari
At the end of week one, we return to Arusha where we begin to prepare for our safari. Our safari guides will pick us up early to begin our adventure in Tarangire National Park, Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti National Park. You will have an opportunity to see the lush flora and fauna of the region, view countless birds, many of which are unique to the region, and watch for elephants, zebras, lions and more!
Our safari includes overnight accommodation in a mixture of lodges and tented camps, all carefully selected to ensure you are comfortable while also allowing you to gain an appreciation for the tourism industry that contributes significantly to the Tanzanian economy. Our accommodation has been carefully chosen for you to enjoy a warm welcome at the end of day and a delicious meal while overlooking the savannah. It is always fun to meet the staff, many of whom live with their families in the nearby villages.
At the end of the safari, we will return to Arusha for a final celebratory dinner while sharing memories and photos.
We focus on providing you with a unique opportunity to explore the beauty of Tanzania – the people, the landscape and a way of life. We want to be sure that you have time to learn, to see, to do and to experience. We also want to ensure your safety and comfort.
Our small groups approach allows us to travel efficiently and comfortably. We aim to be flexible where possible, taking into account individual interests and travel needs.
And our team is dedicated to helping you before and during the trip. From pre-planning orientation sessions to travel suggestions, we will make sure that you are ready for your trip. And we will be there for you when you arrive in Tanzania and ensure you have a rewarding trip.
Contact the 2024 TwT Coordinator to ask questions – we are here for you!
“This was a fabulous trip! Of all the tours I have done TEMBO has provided a top notch travel experience. The learning opportunities, cultural experiences and the constant happy personnel both in the community and with TEMBO made for an extraordinary trip.”
– Marian P., 2019 TwT participant
My entire trip was a pleasure. It was a very well organized, the updates and information received before we left was so helpful. Life at the Guesthouse was fun, meals were very tasty and the Staff went out of their way to make us feel at home. Visits to the Learning Centre, the Tailoring course , meeting the girls and women who got loans, and walking for water, will all leave lasting impressions. Thank you for this wonderful experience.
– Jess C., 2019 TwT Participant
Travelling with TEMBO allowed me to have an African adventure well outside the norm — TEMBO knows the local culture, and our visit to Tanzania was enriched by that knowledge. and the access TEMBO provides to local people, many whom have been touched by the work of the NGO. The small group format ensures that everyone has a chance to ask questions and follow up on issues/experiences that are of particular interest to them. The guide that TEMBO found for the safari portion of the trip was exceptional and we all came away feeling that we had had close encounters with the most exotic animals on earth – including the big five – and over a hundred species of birds. Highly recommended for anyone interested in how a small NGO can make a huge difference through focus and commitment, while combining this with visits to one of the most wildlife-rich areas of the world.
– Glynnis F., 2018 TwT Participant
Our Trip Includes....
- accommodation for 13 nights —based on double occupancy (single rooms available at an additional cost)
- in country transportation in a comfortable van and 7-passenger safari vehicle with a pop-up roof
- all tours, sight-seeing activities and park entrance fees
- breakfast, lunch, and dinner each day
- support and information provided by TEMBO Director
- professional wildlife safari guide
- experienced TEMBO tour coordinator that travels with the group at all times
Registration and Cost
Registration: each participant must register individually with a donation of $300 CAD to TEMBO. This will reserve a space for you on the trip. You will receive a charitable donation tax receipt and confirmation.
Space is limited, so book early!
Once you have registered, our 2024 Trip Coordinator will contact you and provide more detailed information and support for travel.
Total Cost per person: $5,200 CAD (includes donation, excludes airfare)
Single supplement: an additional cost of $300 CAD.
If you have further questions, please contact the TwT Coordinator